Thursday, October 29, 2009

Back to fiberish pursuits

Time for an update on my various fiber projects. Despite many distractions, I have progressed a little. I have completed square 18 of the 45-square modular shawl. The slow progress would be discouraging if it weren't for how wonderful the merino/silk yarn feels.

I completed a pair of socks. I knit them toe up using Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sock yarn (Gone Fishin' colorway) Mockery Socks stitch pattern.
It was hard to see the stitch definition past the stripyness of the yarn, so after I passed the heels I stopped twisting the yarnovers closed by knitting in the back of the stitch above. I like the result better than the basic Mockery pattern, but do not think I will use it again. One note to consider if you use the Mockery stitch pattern: the pattern skews the fabric so a flat toe doesn't line up with the heel. Using a round toe will take care of the problem.

About a month ago I finished spinning up some hand-painted alpaca in soft spring greens. The three loosely-spun fluffy skeins have been sitting on the coffee table, calling to me with an insidious siren song. For some reason they want to become a lacy, squishy, snuggly neckwarmer/cowl. I looked through scarf and mitten patterns, but no, they resisted any attempt to be diverted from a cowl future. I gave in and a cowl they will make. I am using the Ridged Lace Cowl pattern I found on Ravelry. The pattern calls for worsted-weight angora and results in a 15 inch deep tube that is scrunched down around the neck. The designer must live in the arctic! My yarn is 100% alpaca and I will be eliminating a pattern repeat or two, in order to avoid heat prostration. After knitting mostly with 1s and 2s, worsted weight on size 8 needles goes incredibly fast!

The only other fiber news is that I am spinning up some slightly hairy suri alpaca to make a new purse, and as soon as I finish the cowl I plan to get back to the purple hoodie. Oh! and I need to cast on another pair of socks.

That's all for now!

Monday, October 19, 2009

Relaxing weekend

This picture was Saturday. Sunday turned windy, so picture it without the awning.

Sunday, October 11, 2009

More Trailer details

In addition to attending a very enjoyable spinning guild meeting, I was able to spend much of the weekend working on some finishing touches for the trailer. The rebuild provided additional storage cabinets, but wouldn't you know it Home Depot has discontinued the existing cabinet hardware?! I took this as an opportunity and bought unfinished wood knobs to decorate. I like the results so much that I think I'll do some for my bedroom, too. I also burned and painted some outlet plates. The new mattress is in place, along with featherbed and new purple sheets. I installed some new latches on the under bed storage door to keep it from flying open in transit and I added a baby-lock to the rear hatch so that it can be propped open just enough for electrical plug-in. Still need to find flooring and two 12-volt reading lights.

She is looking so cozy that I can't wait to take her on the road!

Monday, October 05, 2009

A peek at the inside

The little 1953 trailer is home. I have just started to fill her up with all the bits and pieces of camping. She still needs a mattress, flooring, 2 light fixtures, and a few other things. Here is a picture taken through the back window.