Saturday, August 02, 2008

Repurposing

It is always gratifying when you can rescue something from a future in the landfill and find a new life for it. We are having a grand clear-out at work since we are moving to a new building. One of the items that would have been tossed was a 1950s-era wooden base that would have held a brass nameplate. The engraved plastic nameplates of today do not fit the narrow slot. Wooden objects within my general vicinity are all subject to fits of... er... improvement via burning tool and paintbrush. I decided to rescue this chunk of wood from an ignominious fate and turn it into a nifty photo holder to add individuality to my new office.

First I sanded the old finish off with my Mouse palm sander (I love that tool!). I also chipped off the lumpy petrified felt from the bottom. Still a bit stuck in a design rut, I penciled on a pattern of snakes and vines. I know I have already used this pattern several times, but I still like it and it is fluid and fun to draw. The wood was pretty grainy, so it did not burn very evenly. I pressed on anyway. Then painted the design using acrylic paint with plenty of matt medium to let the woodgrain show through. Three coats of satin spar urethane later, I now have a new desk accessory. This was a super quick project, conceived yesterday and completed today.


Now, what else can I burn?....

5 comments:

magnusmog said...

that's brilliant - such a good way to re-use the wood :)

Mim said...

And what a nice picture of Linda and Sharon

~~Sittin.n.Spinnin said...

I love it! You are so talented Amy, and inventive! I would have seen a piece of old wood, its usefullness over, and you saw a new picture holder. That amazes me somehow...

Sharon said...

At first I thought it was Allison and Linda - oh my word, when on earth was that taken?! I really can't think of any more wonderful honor or tribute. Wow - Wow!!

Anonymous said...

Muey adorabla!!!