Thursday, January 14, 2010

New year = New projects

Here's a "before" picture of my next furniture-sized project. I found this cabinet at a cool shop in Tucson, AZ that specializes in large Mexican colonial pieces, antique and otherwise. As we wandered between 10-foot high old wooden doors, huge terracotta urns, and giant heavy wooden sideboards, I remarked that, although I loved everything I saw, I wouldn't be tempted since nothing would fit in my tiny house. No sooner than I uttered the words, we turned a corner and found this well-loved little cabinet. It is solid, very heavy (many thanks to Mim and Sharon who helped struggle it up my steps), and the perfect piece to hold up my TV. First I need to remove the faux-finish turquoise paint. Sharon and Mim were both insistent that I should keep the turquoise, but to me it is way too "southwest" cute. Plus, why faux-finish a piece that is already honestly old? Seems like a crime to me.




While I am considering the options, the cabinet is forming an impromptu kitchen island. Just another in-progress project, sitting on the in-progress kitchen floor, next to the in-progress kitchen table, surrounded by the cabinets needing sanding and wallpaper needing stripping. I sort of have a theme going.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

it's beautiful! throw a slab of marble, granite or butcher block on top of that and you would have a gorgeous island.

Laura said...

That would be a daunting woodburning project, but I can see you doing it!! It has beautiful "bones."

~~Sittin.n.Spinnin said...

You gotta quit that! You have too many projects that I want to see done! lol Nice find, and once again, I can't wait to see it finished :)

Sharon said...

Man, that was heavy. Good thing you have ranch women to help you! I think Zach has the right idea - it should be a kitchen island. Your kitchen has room and you would have so much more storage space.