Saturday, April 03, 2010

Tadah!

Here is a grainy shot of my finished project! I will take better pictures tomorrow when I have some natural light. The before shot is here.

Removing the ugly turquoise paint (complete with brown paste wax) was a bit painful. My finishing job purposefully left the scratches and dents of age and use. The brushy paint job lets the wood grain (and leftover old paint in dents) show through. I used only 2 coats of varnish to protect it without giving it a plastic look. After painting I put back the original hand-cast brass hardware, using the original old screws.

Perhaps some future owner will be pleased to remove my paint job as ugly and inappropriate. Me - I like it very much.

4 comments:

Sharon said...

I love the ugly turquoise paint, but clearly it comes to a matter of taster - and ownership. I concede. It's pretty cool.

~~Sittin.n.Spinnin said...

Very nice Amy!

Birdsong said...

I am always so delighted by the objects that you paint, and can't wait to see you and your lil' trailer next month.

magnusmog said...

wonderful!