Sunday, August 06, 2006

Marathon Kiwi Painting

It took 7 hours Friday (into early Saturday), 12 hours Saturday, and 3 hours today, but it was worth it. I finished painting the Kiwi! By midnight last night I was cursing myself for creating a design with thousands of little leaves. I soldiered on and I am happy with the result. I particularly like the way the wheel came out.

Next step is to start applying the finish. On the advice of Laura, enthusiast of all things that involve tools or a trip to Home Depot, I purchased water-based satin finish "Spar Urethane". This stuff is really tough and has the added bonus of including U.V. protection. Three coats, with light sanding between coats with 400 grit sandpaper is what is recommended. After that it should be, as Laura says, bombproof.

2 comments:

Birdsong said...

I am in awe of your dedication, and can't wait to see this in person. Great job, Amy.

Sharon said...

I cannot wait to see this accomplishment, a true one-of-a-kind masterpiece! I see Laura has made a flyby your house and has contributed to your project too. Good thing she's a friend and not a consultant - we couldn't afford her~