Saturday, November 17, 2007

Basketry Workshop





Linda and I spent today at a pine needle basketry workshop at the Nevada Museum of Art. Our teacher was Audrey Frank, who is Washoe/Paiute and learned from her aunt and grandmother. In about 5 hours each of us was able to finish a miniature basket. It was fun to see how different they all came out. Mine is sort of muffin shaped and only a little bit uneven. Not bad for my first try at a coiled basket! I have said over and over how I dislike anything resembling hand sewing, but this I really enjoyed. I am filled with inspiration to run out and collect pine needles and anything else that might work. Next year I could incorporate some lavender stalks....

The workshop was given in conjunction with a fabulous exhibit called "Yosemite: Art of an American Icon". Here is the description from the Museum site:

"Yosemite: Art of an American Icon presents over one hundred artworks that explore the rich artistic and cultural traditions that have helped to shape America's understanding of this celebrated national park. Featuring iconic paintings and photographs by artists such as Albert Bierstadt, Thomas Hill, Ansel Adams, and David Hockney, as well as a selection of Native American baskets by Carrie Bethel, the exhibit looks at Yosemite's changing visual identity and cultural role as a national and international destination, and also examines the artistic response to Yosemite's transition from a wilderness ideal to an often congested commercial tourist site."

The exhibit runs until January 13th, 2008 and I REALLY recommend it.

6 comments:

Beryl Moody said...

Your basket is a real jewel. Thanks for the info on the Yosemite exhibit. I plan to get there in the next few weeks before the Christmas traffic gets too out of hand. You are lucky to have such a nice museum so close at hand.

Sharon said...

Oh my, that's tiny. Five hours, eh. Makes me realize what went into those gorgeous baskets.

~~Sittin.n.Spinnin said...

I have always thought I would enjoy basket makeing... but, alas, I can only afford one hobby at a time it seems :) nice job!

Anonymous said...

That so cool. It's fun learning new things. Thanks for sharing your life with us. I look forward to reading you blog. Heidi

magnusmog said...

it's gorgeous! What a little gem.

Birdsong said...

I better get back over and catch that exhibit! What a fun time you must have had... I like the idea of basketry and have done a bit, but just don't have enough time to get good at it and keep up with spinning and knitting... my darn work life keeps getting in the way:)